Ten Helpful Hints for New or Professional Storytellers
rformance time doing folk tales. If you’re a master of the silly story song, do mostly silly story songs. If you’re good with bold face lies, you might want to run for a public office. Remember find your own voice, don’t borrow one. It is already being used!
- Product – After an audience has just been floored by an hour of the best storytelling they’ve ever experienced by…well…you, why not give them the chance to take something home from it? CD’s, cassettes, t-shirts, etc. will bring your gig to the next level financially, and give you some extra creditability. (You may be a year or two away from recording a quality CD, but now is a great time to start preparing for when that time comes.) I started out with special bookmarks for a $1.00 that had my promo info on one side and a short silly story on the other. People will buy anything from you if you are worth it!
- Be proactive -Once you’ve decided to do this crazy thing called storytelling, it’s now time to take massive action. Make efforts to get to know several event producers in your area. You know churches, festivals, hospitals, schools, etc. Call them, email them, go meet them in person. Let em’ know who you are and what you do. Take them a bio sheet, or some cookies, or take them out to dinner. Get a list of upcoming events in your area. Contact these places and ask if they’ll let you MC the event, or warm up the crowd for 5-10 minutes. Go for it. Awaken the storyteller within. I met with one event producer and asked them if I could warm up the crowd before the main performance. They thought I was nuts but thought it was a good idea, so I put together some of my funniest short stories and went for it. It went well and I was scared to death! But it worked and I received other work from that. Oh the name of the event? When John McCain came to town when he was running for president, he had an opening act! PS. I didn’t vote for him but I did use his event as a springboard.
- Enjoy yourself -I know you hear a lot about how tough professional storytelling is, and how hard it is to get started, and all that stuff about paying dues. Listen, performing is worth it. So enjoy the process. The audience will have more fun watching you if they can sense that you’re having fun. If anything, you should realize that you do something that over 99% of the population doesn’t have the guts or the talent to do-stand up in front of a crowd and make them laugh, sing, cry and have a good time. To many times folks want stories told at an event, rather than hiring a storyteller to tell stories. There is a big difference. Anyone can tell a few stories to anyone, but only a storyteller can make the performance a special memory. So enjoy what you do, do it well, continue to be an asset to any event you’re at and most of all be proud to be a STORYTELLER!
Ten Accommodating Clues for New or Proficient Storytellers
rformance time doing society stories. In case you’re an ace of the senseless story melody, do generally senseless story tunes. In case you’re great with intense face lies, you should need to keep running for an open office. Keep in mind locate your very own voice, don’t get one. It is now being utilized!
- Item – After a crowd of people has quite recently been amazed by a hour of the best narrating they’ve at any point experienced by…well…you, why not allow them to take something home from it? CD’s, tapes, shirts, and so forth will convey your gig to the following dimension monetarily, and give you some additional respectability. (You might be a year or two far from account a quality Disc, however at this point is an incredible time to begin getting ready for when that time comes.) I began with extraordinary bookmarks for a $1.00 that had my promotion data on one side and a short senseless story on the other. Individuals will purchase anything from you in the event that you are justified, despite all the trouble!
- Be proactive – When you’ve chosen to do this insane thing called narrating, it’s currently time to make huge move. Attempt endeavors to become acquainted with a few occasion makers in your general vicinity. You know houses of worship, celebrations, emergency clinics, schools, and so on. Call them, email them, go meet them face to face. Tell em’ know your identity and what you do. Take them a bio sheet, or a few treats, or take them out to supper. Get a rundown of up and coming occasions in your general vicinity. Contact these spots and inquire as to whether they’ll let you MC the occasion, or warm up the group for 5-10 minutes. Pull out all the stops. Stir the storyteller inside. I met with one occasion maker and inquired as to whether I could heat up the group before the fundamental execution. They thought I was nuts however thought it was a smart thought, so I set up together a portion of my most amusing short stories and put it all on the line. It went well and I was frightened to death! Yet, it worked and I got other work from that. Goodness the name of the occasion? At the point when John McCain came to town when he was running for president, he had an opening demonstration! PS. I didn’t vote in favor of him yet I used his occasion as a springboard.
- Have a good time – I realize you hear a ton about how extreme expert narrating is, and that it is so difficult to begin, and such stuff about paying levy. Tune in, performing is justified, despite all the trouble. So appreciate the procedure. The group of onlookers will have a ton of fun watching you on the off chance that they can detect that you’re having a ton of fun. On the off chance that anything, you ought to understand that you accomplish something that over 99% of the populace doesn’t have the guts or the ability to do-stand up before a group and make them giggle, sing, cry and have a decent time. To ordinarily people need stories told at an occasion, instead of contracting a storyteller to recount stories. There is a major contrast. Anybody can recount a couple of stories to anybody, however just a storyteller can make the execution an extraordinary memory. So appreciate what you do, do it well, keep on being an advantage for any occasion you’re at and above all be glad to be a STORYTELLER!